Need some inspiration to help with marketing your business? Not sure how to prioritize your time and budget for marketing activities? Join Uptown Main Street and your fellow business owners for a two-part marketing for small business training. The training is free and open to all of our Uptown businesses (however all businesses need to apply to guarantee a spot). Submit our easy application form today by February 15th!
The training will be held at Dance Loft on 14 (4618 14th Street NW) on Tuesday, March 12 and Tuesday, March 19, 2019. Both sessions will run from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. However, we may adjust the exact times and days depending on availability of the interested businesses.
Please note: the second session builds on the first, so we ask that businesses plan to attend both sessions to make the most of this opportunity.
At the end of the two sessions, participants will feel comfortable:
● Craft marketing objectives that achieve business goals
● Define your dream customer and develop audience personas
● Clarify your business’s unique position in the marketplace
● Create your business’s brand personality
● Learn how to effectively tell your business’s story
● Develop a 12-month marketing workplan
All participants will be given a real-life marketing examples throughout the training to inspire ideas as well as a fill-in-the-blank template to complete during the two sessions. (Participants can choose to complete this on their laptops or handwrite on printed handouts.) The template will serve as a strong starting point for your business’s overall marketing plan.
Prior to the Workshop
All interested businesses must complete a short application (a survey with approximately 10 questions) to express your interest and to help our trainer adjust the content to best fit the needs of our businesses. We ask that you also share any existing business or marketing plans if readily available (but not required).
During the Workshop
All participating businesses will be expected to arrive on time and attend both sessions. Much of the content builds upon each other making it hard if you miss parts of either session.
The trainer will present ideas followed by short work sessions so you can craft your marketing plans on-site. The trainer will be available to answer questions and provide real-time feedback, and she will invite your fellow business peers to provide insights and advice as well. Between the two sessions, you will be given homework to refine parts of your plan prior to the following week’s session.
In addition to learning what is needed to build a strategic marketing plan, the trainer will also walk through a variety of ideas, tips and tools to keep in mind for creative marketing tactics. This may include:
• Assessing which social media platforms are most effective for your business and smart ways to target your priority audiences;
• Crafting and placing social media ads (including a template with guidelines on character limits and image dimensions);
• Assessing whether to conduct media or blog outreach and effective tips to target the right reporter/publication;
• Developing incentives or coupons as well as platforms to promote these offerings;
• Creating email distribution systems and available tools that work best for small businesses;
• Leveraging strategic business partnerships (such as cross-promotions with another neighborhood business, product placement at other businesses, etc.);
• Creating events that attract new customers and online tools that help you reach more people with your event announcements; and
• Identifying simple, cheap/free online design tools for collateral development and resources for free photos and graphics.
If you have other specific marketing activities you’re interested in learning more about, please let the UMS Executive Director know or share in the pre-assessment.
Following the Workshop
At the conclusion of the second session, we’ll ask all participants to complete a short evaluation of the training so we can use it to improve future trainings we offer. The trainer is available to help you complete your plans or support with implementing your plans; however, that is not included in Uptown Main Street’s sponsorship of this training.
About the Trainer
With nearly 15 years’ experience, AMB Marketing’s founder, Allyson Boucher has overseen communication and marketing efforts for dozens of nonprofits and small businesses. As chair of the Rhode Island Ave. NE Main Street, Allyson developed a love for community revitalization and small business development. She currently provides marketing and communication services to small businesses in Washington, DC with a focus on strategic marketing plans, social media advertising, collateral development and media relations.
In her previous role as a Vice President of Spitfire, Allyson developed and conducted numerous trainings focused on developing marketing and communication plans, media outreach, crafting an “elevator” pitch, spokesperson trainings and more. Allyson obtained her MBA from the University of Maryland and BA from The College of William & Mary. She lives in NE D.C. with her husband, two daughters and food-loving beagle, Howie.